How we manage your personal information.
Collecting and using your personal information
We need to collect and use your personal information (which may include your sensitive information, such as health information) for a variety of purposes, including to provide you with the financial services you have requested (including answering your requests and complaints, varying products and services and managing your relevant product portfolios) and to contact you about other products and services that may be relevant to you. It is also necessary for us to collect personal information in order to prevent or investigate any fraud or crime, or any suspected fraud or crime.
We’ll collect your personal information from you directly whenever we can. Sometimes we collect your personal information from other sources or third parties such as your Accountant. We do this only if it’s necessary to do so, for example where:
- we can’t get hold of you and we rely on publicly available information to update your contact details;
- we need information from an insurer about an insurance application you make through us;
- at your request, we exchange information with your legal or financial advisers or other representatives.
You may not be aware that we have done so. If we collect information that can be used to identify you, we will take reasonable steps to notify you of that collection.
We may collect information about you because we are required or authorised by law to collect it. There are laws that affect financial institutions, including company and tax law, which require us to collect personal information. For example, we require personal information to verify your identity under Commonwealth Anti-Money Laundering law.
What happens if you don’t provide your information to us?
If you don’t provide your information to us, we may not be able to:
- provide you with the product or service you want;
- manage or administer your product or service;
- verify your identity or protect against fraud; or
- let you know about other products or services that might better meet your financial and lifestyle needs.
Protecting your privacy
Protecting your privacy is essential to our business. Your file, containing your profile, personal objectives, financial circumstances and our recommendations, is kept securely.
Disclosing your personal information
We may share your personal information (which may include your sensitive information, such as health information where we have your consent) with third parties for any purposes for which we use your information. This may include to the following types of third parties:
- those involved in providing, managing or administering the products or services you have requested, including other advisers, paraplanners and organisations who work with us, including GWM Adviser Services and other members of the NAB Group, depending on the financial services and products you have requested;
- insurance providers, superannuation trustees and product providers related to the financial services you have requested;
- professional associations and organisations that help us operate our business, such as those that provide administrative, financial, accounting, insurance, research, legal, strategic advice, auditing, computer or other business services, including our Licensee GWM Adviser Services and other members of the NAB Group;
- your representatives, service providers, or other organisations, such as your accountant, solicitor, tax agent, stockbroker or bank;
- organisations involved in a business restructure or a transfer of all or part of the assets of our business; and
- government and regulatory authorities and other organisations when required or authorised by law (in some instances these bodies may share it with relevant foreign authorities)
- where you have given your consent.
We may also store your information in cloud or other types of networked or electronic storage. As electronic or networked storage can be accessed from various countries via an internet connection, it is not always practicable to know in which country your information may be held. If your information is stored in this way, disclosures may occur in countries other than those listed.
Overseas organisations may be required to disclose information we share with them under a foreign law. In those instances, we will not be responsible for that disclosure.
Sharing with MLC Limited
NAB distributes MLC Limited’s life insurance products. MLC Limited is no longer part of the NAB Group of companies. NAB may exchange personal information with MLC Limited or their service providers in order to administer and manage your life insurance products that are issued by them. We may also need to share information with MLC Limited so as to ensure:
- your insurance premiums are correctly calculated;
- insurance claims and benefits are paid;
- NAB and MLC Limited can both tell you about our respective marketing and products offers (including ensuring customers who hold MLC Limited products are excluded from NAB Group campaigns marketing MLC Limited products);
Consent to marketing activity
We presume you consent to being contacted by us (including GWM Adviser Services and other members of the NAB Group) about suitable products and services via the contact details you have provided. We may continue to contact you for these reasons until you withdraw your consent. You can do this at any time by contacting us (see the ‘Contact us’ section of this FSG). We will process your request as soon as practicable.
Gaining access to your personal information
Correcting your Information
For more information about your privacy, you can also visit the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website at
Your confidence in our advice
Your satisfaction is very important to us and we have procedures in place to resolve any concerns promptly and fairly.
Our complaints procedure
If you’re unhappy with the advice you receive or other aspects of our service, please follow the steps outlined below.
- Please let your financial adviser know so we can act on it immediately.
- If your adviser has not satisfactorily resolved your complaint, please contact our Advice Dispute Resolution Team on:
Phone: 1800 611 950
In writing to:
Advice Dispute Resolution Team
GWM Adviser Services
Level 2, 105-153 Miller Street
North Sydney NSW 2059
- If your complaint isn’t resolved within 45 days or to your satisfaction, then you may refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), an independent complaints handling body. We are a member of FOS. FOS provides a free, accessible, fair and independent dispute resolution service to consumers. You can contact FOS on:
Phone: 1800 367 287,
In writing to:
Financial Ombudsman Service
GPO Box 3
Melbourne VIC 3001
GWM Adviser Services holds professional indemnity insurance that satisfies the requirements of Section 912B of the Corporations Act. This insurance also covers the conduct of our advisers who were authorised by GWM Adviser Services at the time of providing the advice, but are no longer authorised representatives of GWM Adviser Services at the time of your complaint.